A Few Things You Don’t Know About Us

by Julia London on March 28, 2012

The Whine Sisters are an open book, right?  We wear our feelings on our sleeve, we tell you everything we know, and yet, there are some things you don’t know about me and Dee.  For example, we are the same age.  We both call our fathers Daddy.  We are both from the south.  We both started writing about the same time and were both published about the same time.  We are both on perpetual diets, we both like chick lit and historical romances, and we are both Anglophiles.  Apparently, both will put on hats and swan for the camera, too.  That picture was taken about three years ago in New Orleans.

You know what else Dee and I have in common?  We both have books out this week!  Dee’s Deadly Dance is another in her fabulous and popular A-Tac series (her name is a whole lot bigger than mine, I noticed.  Hmmm).  Mine is the third in the Secrets of Hadley Green series, The Seduction of Lady X.

All of us at Whine Sisters, and I do mean all of us, are here for a reason.  We get each other.   See if you can figure out which fellow whine sisters  I have these things in common with:

1.  We were Rita nominees in the same year

2.  We both like to practice an exercise that we loosely call “running”

3.  We started at the same publisher, which is where we met

4. We both believe in clean eating

5.  We both love Smash

6.  Bonus round!  We have known each other the longest

7.  Another bonus round!  We both like grape jam

Want one more bonus round?  8.  I met this whiner in Kansas City!

What do you have in common with the Whine Sisters?  What fun facts can you tell us about you and any of the whiners?  And please don’t forget to support starving artists!  Buy Julia and Dee’s new books!

Kathleen O'Donnell March 28, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I both share your love of Smash….

Julia London Julia London March 28, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Shall I reveal?

1. Julia and Jacquie (so were me and Julie Kenner one year, but most recently, me and Jacquie)
2. Me and Kathleen, with Sherri coming on fast. But Kathleen and I have been at it a little longer.
3. Sherri Browning Erwin, despite her insanely young age, started at Dell Publishing when I did 100 years ago. Which means, if anyone is doing the math, she ain’t that young anymore. :-)
4. Me and Julie Kenner
5. Julia and Dee both love Smash! And they filmed a scene outside of Dee’s apartment!
6. Bonus round! VB and I have known each other the longest. I won’t say exactly how long, but our skin was still pink and dewy.
7. Bonus round! Ti loves grape jam. I don’t know if I have ever had it so I just said I did. hahaha. Cheat!
8. Bonus round! Leslie doesn’t stop by as often anymore, but I met her in Kansas City with Kathleen Givens. That must have been almost 10 years ago. I think

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin March 28, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I can’t believe you and Dee have been talking about Smash without me. Or, yes I can. Jacquie was right there at Dell with us. And I still tell myself, for inspiration, that I could be as successful as Julia London when I’m her age.

Jacquie D'Alessandro Jacquie D'Alessandro March 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm

That’s right, Sherri–I think you, me, Julia, and Kathleen Givens all came on board at Dell the same year. And I double that on the Smash thing–I LOVE that show! I’m totally over Glee. And if I wasn’t already, the fact that they’ve cast Lindsay Lohan made it totally jump the shark for sure for me.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin March 28, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I didn’t hear that about LiLo. Ew. Yeah, Glee lost me this past season. The storylines went a little out there.

Julia London Julia London March 28, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Was it the same year?? I swear I can’t remember this stuff anymore.

Ask Julie Kenner about Glee. We had this convo just last night. I think everyone is over it!

Dr. Love April 1, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Ummm…somebody else you met in Kansas City doesn’t stop by a lot these days, either. I believe that that RT was in the fall of 2002. It was my first time at an RT and I got tossed about like the naive hunk of fresh meat that I was. But I haven’t been the same since the dinner and conference activities I took part in with the Lovelies Ms. London and Ms. Givens that long ago evening. And I still have the inflatable flamingo to prove it.

Ti Colluney March 28, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I know I have the same taste in nom nom’s as Sherri. I have even asked almost begged for her to adopt me. But she politely declined. Though I do prefer grape jam not jelly. Ah well. I know most of you share my love of lovely English castles and historic spots.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin March 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Yes, historic spots! English castles! And your pub sounds like a lot of fun, too. I have to find grape jam.

Julie Kenner/J.K. Beck/J. Kenner Julie Kenner/J.K. Beck March 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I didn’t even know they made grape jam. Strawberry jam, yes. Grape? That’s always clear and unjam-ly

Ti Colluney March 28, 2012 at 10:13 pm
Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin March 28, 2012 at 10:18 am

I love Smash. I love grape jelly, don’t find “grape jam” anywhere. I’m trying to run (but it’s still more walking). And I eat “clean” a lot of the time, but probably not enough to get in the club. None of those are supposed to be for me, I think. I know who they are. Two of us actually qualify for the one that I think is mine.

VB March 28, 2012 at 9:30 am

Sheesh, I have no idea on most of these…
1) Julia & Jacquie
2) Julia & Sherri (or is it Kathleen??)
3) Julia & Kathleen
4) Julia & Julie
5) Julia & Dee
6) Julia & Kathleen
7) Julia & Julie
8) Julia & Jacquie

I’m hoping for 2 out of 8!

VB March 28, 2012 at 9:32 am

Hahahaa. I swear I typed the number 8, but it gave me a smiley face. LOL

Julia London Julia London March 28, 2012 at 9:34 am

VB, they might not all be published whiners. They might be whiners who gather here regularly

VB March 28, 2012 at 9:52 am

Oh, geez. I thought it was just including the ones listed on this page.

VB March 28, 2012 at 10:11 am

OK, then I can only answer #6 with any certainty. haha

Julia London Julia London March 28, 2012 at 9:26 am

Bonnie Crockway, eh? hahahaa

Dee Davis Dee Davis March 28, 2012 at 8:45 am

That’s my Elizabeth Bennet hat! And although I think I can answer almost all the questions…I shall refrain…

Kathleen O'Reilly March 28, 2012 at 9:39 am

I had forgotten about that pic! It is awesome (and yes, I was there in the millinery excursion).

I know almost all the answers, and I have another to add:

Which WhineSister possesses the largest ego?

Julia London Julia London March 28, 2012 at 10:47 am

I resemble that remark!

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin March 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Also, your very proper Elizabeth Bennet face? I dare say.

Julie Kenner/J.K. Beck/J. Kenner Julie Kenner/J.K. Beck March 28, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Refraining as well, as I’d be embarrassed to be wrong, LOL!

And I LOVE that picture! At least you two are wearing real hats. I have one of Dee and I in jester hats. What does THAT say?

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin March 28, 2012 at 7:59 am

This is tricky because I think a few of us might fit for some of these. I know which one is for me, though, and I can answer the other ones, too.

CateS March 28, 2012 at 7:48 am

I love this… but what the heck is ‘clean eating’???

Julia London Julia London March 28, 2012 at 8:23 am

LOL Cate – its eating whole, unprocessed foods.

Dee Davis Dee Davis March 28, 2012 at 8:45 am

hint…that one is NOT me.

Kathleen O'Reilly March 28, 2012 at 9:39 am

Cate, it means you drive 80 miles to drive organically slaughtered cows. :)

Julie Kenner/J.K. Beck/J. Kenner Julie Kenner/J.K. Beck March 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm

LOLOLOL

Jacquie D'Alessandro Jacquie D'Alessandro March 28, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I thought it meant showering before you sat down to a meal.

CateS March 29, 2012 at 8:20 am

So that lets out fast foods, right?

Jacquie D'Alessandro Jacquie D'Alessandro March 28, 2012 at 6:23 am

I love this, Julia! And that pic is fabulous. Were you hat shopping?
Here’s a Whine Sister teaser–which one introduced me to Caramel Sea Salt ice cream? (and I’m not sure whether to kiss her or whack her upside the head!) C’mon–’fess up. You know who you are!

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin March 28, 2012 at 8:05 am

Jacquie, I was with you during our first taste of caramel sea salt gelato but we have another to blame. There was an instigator at our table who said we had to try it. She’s not a Whiner but we know her well. She shows up here every now and then, but not often. Bestselling author. Often an instigator. Friend of Whine, and used to have her own blog with bestselling authors. It was in San Francisco. Kathleen Givens was with us, too, and Julia London stood us up in favor of a better offer (well, okay, it was for business, so she got a pass).

Julia London Julia London March 28, 2012 at 8:23 am

Who? I don’t know who!

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin March 28, 2012 at 8:43 am

I’ll call her Bonnie Crockway. Maybe you can guess now.

Dee Davis Dee Davis March 28, 2012 at 8:47 am

She’s always been a rabble-rouser!

Jacquie D'Alessandro Jacquie D'Alessandro March 28, 2012 at 9:35 am

Yeah, that Bonnie Crockway. She should be arrested for being a sea salt caramel ice cream dealer. Surely that’s illegal. Gets others hooked…she’s a bad girl. A very bad girl.

Dr. Love April 1, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Bonnie Crockway IS a very bad girl! That’s why we keep her around.

Kathleen O'Reilly March 28, 2012 at 9:41 am

oh, that Crockway! She’s such a hooligan. :)