I Give Madonna Props

by Julia London on February 7, 2012

There are a lot of people talking about Madonna’s half time performance at the Super Bowl on Sunday.  Was it the best show ever?  No.  But I thought it was pretty good as those things go.  Is she the best half-time performer ever?  I don’t think so, but I couldn’t tell you who’s done better.  The best thing about Madonna’s show to me is that she is still rocking it at 53.  Check. it. out.  The woman has worked hard to keep in shape, she looks great–okay, she has to lip-sync now, but let’s be real.  You remember how coaches told you to figure out if you are working your heart too hard?  If you can still talk, great, but you shouldn’t be able to sing.  I think singing and doing anything but standing there is hard.  If she was going to move around, I don’t see how she could do anything but lip-sync.  And move, she did.  Some of those knee-bending moves that just made me hurt.

Whether you’re a fan or not, I think you have to give the girl some props.  It ain’t easy getting old.  Madonna and I are about the same age.  I can’t do those knee bends without hurting something important.  I consider myself in pretty good shape, but I don’t know if I could ever work enough to do some of the stuff she did.  But I can run, and I am running in another half marathon this coming weekend.  So I am driving the Cutest Kindergartner Ever somewhere and I told him I would be gone next weekend to run in a race.  “Are you going to win?” he asked.  I said no.  “Are you going to be last?”  I laughed and said no.  I didn’t tell him I really hope to hell I don’t come in last but it’s not outside the realm of possibility.  I told him I would be somewhere in the middle.  He said, “Are you super super fast?”  Because he’s all about super powers.  I said, “I’m not fast.  I’m slow.  But I can do it for a long time.”  I added that last part more for myself, my justification for not being fast and having no hope of ever being fast.  I’m too big and too old to improve much, and honestly, I’m not Madonna.  Unless there’s a really big prize like a million dollars, I am not inclined to put in all the physical work I’d have to do to gain a few minutes.

But the Cutest Kindergartner Ever said, “That’s okay.  That means you’re super strong!”  It does?  He about cyborg or clydemore or someone who isn’t very fast, but he’s tough and he can pick Superman up with arm.   Hey, I’ll take that.  It made me smile.  It made me think, he’s right.  I AM strong.  I can run 13 miles!  I am a Cyborg! Or a Clydemore!  Not sure which!

When I saw Madonna Sunday night I thought it was pretty darn good.  For a cyborg.

Are you a Cyborg?  How do you keep physically fit?  What did you think of the halftime show?  Who do you consider to be strong?  Who is your getting-older role model? Be sure and ask Kathleen about the hand injury she got while running.

Wish me luck!  I will be in Jacksonville Florida on 2/12 with several thousand other middle-agers trying to prove we are still strong.

Julie Kenner/J.K. Beck/J. Kenner Julie Kenner/J.K. Beck February 7, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I’m losing my mind. I could have sworn I commented on this early this morning. Sigh.

I thought Madonna did great, though the arms are a bit … odd…but the sad thing was my kids coming into the living room during halftime and asking “Who’s Madonna?”

Clearly, I have failed as a mother…..

As for Mz Julia: You go, girl! Rock that marathon!!!!!

diana leneker February 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I enjoyed the half time show! Thought she did a great job and made it family friendly.

Danielle Gorman February 7, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I liked her show. So much better than the last few years. I liked that it was grand and in your face. I also liked that she did old songs and new. Madonna may not be my favorite artist but damn she did good for being 53. There are performers half her age that wouldn’t have been able to pull off that performance.

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Good point, Danielle

Ti Colluney February 7, 2012 at 11:54 am

Kathleen got a boo boo on her hand whilst running?? Cool! I got a haematoma on my right hiney cheek walking down stairs at work once. Darn those slippery tiles!

Work out? Running? Jogging? No and no and no. Try wearing 3 bras when running and I still worry about black eyes. No can do!

Good luck with the race though. Jax huh. I was born in Daytona Beach.

Getting older role model? Maureen O’Hara! What a spitfire!!! I love how she is so graceful funny and still a classy lady.

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Oh, Ti. Proper support is very important! I understand completely.

Maureen O’Hara, what a great pick!

RebeLovesBooks February 7, 2012 at 11:40 am

I was really impressed by her ability to move, period! Every time she bounced up and down I thought, “MY KNEES!! EEK!!” I was a lot more impressed than others, I know.

I exercise several times a week (mostly workout dvds at home), and I pretty much consider it basic maintenance. I’m in awe that Julia’s doing all that running!

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Rebe, that’s what I thought! My knees hurt just watching her. I even tried to do it. No can do.

Dee Davis Dee Davis February 7, 2012 at 11:33 am

To be honest I was unimpressed by the halftime show. Although I did think that Madonna looked great.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin February 7, 2012 at 11:37 am

Yes, it wasn’t really my thing. It was watchable and not as bad as some, but not that great for me either. And 53 is not ancient, so I’m not really blown away that she can look good and still move. I’m not in that kind of shape, no, but meh, not that impressed. Julia London, on the other hand, impresses me very much. I think there are a lot of women at many ages who are in great shape and look fantastic, without the vanity or affecting a British accent. :)

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm

It’s not ancient, but stuff starts to tighten up, so those knee bends were…wow. I would pop all kinds of tendons.

Dee Davis Dee Davis February 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm

No kiddding on the knee bends, and the five inch heels. But I’m with Sherri my hats off to you La London. Very very cool!

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 3:45 pm

How sweet, Dee. :-) . Do go on.

Patsi Kennedy February 7, 2012 at 11:17 am

I really liked the Half time show. I wish I could move like Madonna and have her body. The only thing I did not like about the half time show was the Stupid Rap Crap. And the person MIA, or what ever her name is, I think that she blow it and made Madonna look bad. But other then that it was a great show. I use to be able to ride a bike and do a lot of walking but know I just do a lot of walking at work. I have a friend who is a runner. She used to run a lot when she lived here in Colorado. She would run up and down the mountain she used to live on.

Patsi Kennedy February 7, 2012 at 11:23 am

Ps. GO GET THEM JULIA

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Thanks Patsi! And you’re right about MIA. I don’t understand why she felt the need.

pjpuppymom February 7, 2012 at 10:43 am

As halftime shows go, it wasn’t bad. As for Madonna, to look that good and be able to move that well at 53 earns her major kudos in my book!

Good luck with this weekend’s race, Julia! Where’s in Jacksonville is it being held? I’ll let all my Jax buddies know. (I lived there for many years) Some of them may even be running in it.

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm

P.J. It starts at the mayo clinic, then goes to the beach and up the beach and back. That’s the best I can tell you. I have never been there before.

pjpuppymom February 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm

That tells me exactly what I need to know, Julia. It must be Donna’s Finish Breast Cancer run? She’s done so much to raise both money and awareness of the disease since her diagnosis.

Hope you have good weather, a great run and plenty of fun in Jacksonville!

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Yes! It’s the 26.2 with Donna marathon to finish breast cancer. I hear it’s a lot of fun and that the crowds are so appreciative. I am really looking forward to it.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin February 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

Julia you’re going to do great!

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Thanks Sherri :-) .

Sheridan February 7, 2012 at 9:19 am

Until a few years ago (ok, I guess it has been 4 now) I could ride 100 miles on my bike in a day. I did century rides and coached others to finish their own century rides (I was a mentor and asst coach with Team in Training) then I injured my back. Lots of pain then PT then tears led to my puffing up… so while I know I am strong with endurance, I have to deal with the knowledge my super powers have been dormant, waiting to get back out. It’s tough to start over.. and frustrating. :)

I’ll give Madge props for getting up there. She has been lip synching her performances for a long time, so that was nothing new.. but she should have left the stilettos at home and worn something that made her teeter less. I think had she done that, her timing would not have been off and she would not have looked like she was trying to lift lead shoes. She looks great, but I was a bit disappointed in the show.

Sheridan February 7, 2012 at 9:19 am

oh.. and as for you, Julia, I can’t WAIT to see your race bling and smiling “I DID IT!” face after.

You rock.

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Sheridan, I remember you doing that. I hope you get back to it because you really seemed to like it.

Kathleen O'Reilly February 7, 2012 at 9:12 am

I loved the show, but mainly because it was so vintage Madonna. All the chariot dudes and the techno-tiles…. And yes, her hat. I want to wear a hat like that.
*fingers crossed this will work**

Kathleen O'Reilly February 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

Nope. Sorry, but imagine a pic of the viking hat.

VB February 7, 2012 at 9:09 am

I’m with the other ladies. I enjoyed the show, but her inability to move smoothly in those boots was a bit distracting to me.

Julia, you’re gonna rock it in Florida! You are awesome!! I’m still doing the karate, which is great for strength and toning, but only give me part of the cardio I need. Gotta start jogging.

My favorite half-time show would probably be U2. I love their music anyway, but they were performing just a few short months after 9/11. Difficult task, but I was so moved by their support for our country in general and the victims in particular. It’s one of the few half-time shows I can actually remember.

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm

That was classic, VB. Thanks for the reminder

Pam B February 7, 2012 at 8:35 am

I was impressed by her show. I have to agree not the best half time but not the worst and amazing for an old lady. I only wish I was in the shape she’s in and I may be somewhere close sometime in the future if I keep working on getting back to where I should be.

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 8:41 am

That’s great, Pam! Keep up the good work :-)

Kathleen O'Reilly February 7, 2012 at 9:02 am

Go, Pam!

SuzyQ February 7, 2012 at 8:34 am

I love Madonna and thought she did a great job. I agree with Jacquie that she looked a little uneasy and I definitely think she should have worn different shoes. But all in all I thought it was a good show and she can still move. I know everyone at my house was singing along with Like a Prayer. Remember, she was an influence for many, including Lady Gaga, so it’s nice to see her back.

And good luck in FL!!!

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 8:42 am

Thanks, Suzy!

I wonder where Madonna goes from here.

Jacquie D'Alessandro Jacquie D'Alessandro February 7, 2012 at 8:02 am

First–good luck, Julia! I think it’s so awesome that you do that. Awesome and inspirational.
Now about Madonna. On the one hand, yes, I give her props for getting up there. But honestly, the whole time I was watching the show I was thinking, “What, Lady Gaga wasn’t available to do this?” I thought Madonna looked nervous in her movements–like she was afraid she was going to fall off the stage. Which I don’t blame her for–that stage was put up in like five minutes. In fact, she had a bad wobble at one point and almost did fall. Those high heeled boots didn’t do her any favors. I think she would have moved much better in different (low-heeled) footwear. And while she does give herself in shape (good for her!), I think her face has that “puffed up with cosmetic fillers” look that reminds me of a puppet. I personally think she’d better “au naturel.”

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 8:05 am

If you can’t wear athletic shoes for those sorts of moves, I highly recommend Uggs.

Kathleen O'Reilly February 7, 2012 at 9:03 am

Jacquie, I noticed the awkwardness, too, but I thought maybe she’d been drinking. :) It kinda had that “I took a shot before this show in order to loosen up” lassez faire attitude.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin February 7, 2012 at 10:15 am

She needed the fillers after her fat-sucking surgeries from years earlier finally had the effect of collapsing her face, the madame puppet effect. She looked awful. Now, she has fillers but she does look much better. The lesson learned here is the surgeries you have when you’re younger will catch up to you and not work so well with an older face, requiring more surgery and fillers. A good argument for keeping it real.

April Plummer February 7, 2012 at 7:57 am

I loved Madonna’s show! How do I keep fit? I workout 90 min/4 times a week. At least. I do 45-60 minutes of cardio followed by strength training. It’s a bit of an obsession for me, I admit. I’m a fitness freak…but will still never match the level or even close to the level of Madonna. She is a Queen!

Julia London Julia London February 7, 2012 at 8:05 am

She’s got some guns, too. Did she see her arms?

VB February 7, 2012 at 9:29 am

I want guns! My arms are much improved over the last couple of years, but I want me some GUNS. lol