The Eye(brow)s Have It!

by Sherri Browning Erwin on December 6, 2011

I’m attracted to men who can raise one eyebrow. Weird, right?

Like this:

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

This:

Jason Momoa

Yes, even this:

Stephen Colbert (yes, it's true- that brow gets me).

While researching this article (yes, I research!) I discovered a link to a list of actors who act with their eyebrows. Leonard Nimoy was # 1, but I think Ryan Reynolds should be on it. He has the most expressive eyebrows. Love him. Oh, and Bill Hader.

If I used a picture with his shirt off, you would not be noticing his eyebrows. Sorry.

Eyebrows can be so expressive. But on women… they’re another thing that can apparently make us look older if they’re not maintained. Of course! Our work never ends. An eyebrow expert on the Today show said that over-plucking is the number one thing that makes women look older. Sparse brows are a Don’t. Be careful when you moisturize– getting lotion in your pores will block hair growth.

More eyebrow tips here:

Daily Glow

And here:

Eyebrowz

Apparently, my brows should be arched to elongate my round face. But my eyebrows are so light that they barely show up. I should consider brow darkening. I think I’ll stick with cosmetic enhancements for now. Or, just leaving them be, which is honestly what happens most often. But of course, I might start looking older. If I listen to the brow mavens.

Do you shape your brows? Have you tried eyebrow threading? Waxing? Eyebrow coloring? Does the one eyebrow arch thing get you, too, or am I alone in that?

Kathleen O'Reilly December 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I love the arching brow thing, and yes, my characters are ALWAYS raising their brow. I did have a character (possibly two) that can arch one brow and mention was made of that remarkable feat (a la Spock). I have never been able to arch one brow, but my daughter can.

I will never do anything to my brows. Like yours, they are fair, which covers a multitude of sins and gray hairs (sorry Jacquie). I love The Rock, and never knew why. Now I think I have discovered the source of his appeal.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin December 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Yes, it’s the Rock’s eyebrow thing. I am powerless to resist.

SuzyQ December 6, 2011 at 8:52 am

Well, I guess I’m going to stay young because I have never plucked my eyebrows or done anything to them. I never really needed to as they are shaped just right. I am starting to see some gray poke through. I guess I’ll have to start using some pencil or powder to cover it.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin December 6, 2011 at 8:56 am

I had my eyebrows waxed twice. They did not look any different to me, so I never bothered with it again. Threading looks interesting, but again, not sure I would see much difference to make it worthwhile.

Dee Davis Dee Davis December 6, 2011 at 10:45 am

But threading has always sounded painful to me.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin December 6, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I thought it wasn’t supposed to hurt. I never understand how they can twist a thread tight enough to pull hair out.

Julia London Julia London December 6, 2011 at 8:34 am

I use way too many facial expressions in my writing. Sometimes my characters seem to have strange tics.

Eyebrows — did you know if you use retin-A products, that you can’t really tweeze or wax your brows? It scabs up if you do. Just saying that when you get even OLDER, Sherri, you have to be super careful how you get rid of those gray brows. Me? I use a pencil.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin December 6, 2011 at 9:08 am

I’m apparently allergic to retin-A products, so I will have to hope I age gracefully. I’m not going to pluck. Maybe I’ll get nice big Andy Rooney brows as I age. Yeah, that will keep me from looking old.

Dee Davis Dee Davis December 6, 2011 at 8:24 am

in my first book (the early drafts) apparently all the men raised one eyebrow– ALL of them. So clearly I’m with you Sherri on what I like. But I have tamed it now, so that only one character per book has the ability. Maybe I need to create a world where all men raise their eyebrows? LOL

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin December 6, 2011 at 8:28 am

Too funny, Dee! No wonder I love your heroes. And I think we would have to call that world Swoonsville. Swoonsylvania? I would be swooning all over the place. :)

Dee Davis Dee Davis December 6, 2011 at 10:45 am

Me too :) Just show me the way!

Jacquie D'Alessandro Jacquie D'Alessandro December 6, 2011 at 8:09 am

I have just the opposite situation from you, Sherri–my brows are so dark, they are literally black. Which is fine EXCEPT there are actually some grays sneaking in there! Crap! Gray eyebrow hairs? Really?? Give me a break. I get mine waxed whenever I get a facial (a couple times a year–wish it was more often!)and I maintain the shape in between. I’m lucky that mine aren’t high maintenance–except for this new emergence of the grays. Ugh.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin December 6, 2011 at 8:15 am

Ah, this is one problem I won’t have with too-light eyebrows, perhaps.

CateS December 6, 2011 at 8:07 am

you are not alone… I inheritated thick black eyebrows… so when I was in college.. plucked them & shaped them… now that I’m older [a lot older] they are starting to turn….gasp! white.. so I may have to start coloring them in a few years…

Jacquie D'Alessandro Jacquie D'Alessandro December 6, 2011 at 8:10 am

Yes, Cate! Same thing here–the gray eyebrow hairs. Ridiculous.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin December 6, 2011 at 8:15 am

This is not fair. Nature! Argh.