GG Fashion/What’s Your Sign Now?

by Sherri Browning Erwin on January 20, 2011

It’s a split blog today! Maybe I’m really a Gemini?

I wanted to cover astrology, but it was the Golden Globes this weekend. How could I not talk clothes?

So check out the gallery here: Golden Globes at GFY, and let’s discuss.

Best? I loved Scarlett Johanssen (maybe not her hair), Olivia Wilde (oh no, again with the hair), and the simplicity of Emma Stone (hair, decent, but I love her as a redhead, the blonde is for a role). Natalie Portman (regrettably, I don’t like her, but she looked adorable).

Worst? Sandra Bullock, love you, could not get past the hair (still on the hair). Maybe it was a nice dress? I don’t even know. All I could see was bangs. Julianne Moore, awful choice. Dislike. January Jones, no, blech. Angelina Jolie, does she have one of these sheaths in every color? Boring. Michelle Williams, so cute, but so misguided. Helena Bonham Carter, wacky, but she gets a pass because that’s part of her schtick. Similarly, Tilda Swinton.

Can’t make up my mind: Anne Hathaway. Chic or yawn or ewww? Jennifer Lopez, looks so seventies. It’s like she’s at a party on the Lido Deck of the Love Boat.

So let’s talk gowns! Who are your best and worst and hunh? And now on to my original blog for today…

The internet was in a snit last week about zodiac signs changing. It probably would have been a buried news item, a non-issue, if we weren’t all on Facebook and Twitter and reading blogs. But, ta-daa! This is how news travels in an Internet age. We’re all buzzing. Over one little statement coming out of Minnesota.

How can signs change?

The ancient Babylonians based zodiac signs on the constellation the sun was in on the day a person was born. But this was thousands of years ago when the Earth was positioned, in relation to the sun and the stars behind it, in a different place on the rotational axis.

The result: The sign you think you are, and the sign you really are in terms of the constellation the sun is in on your birthday are different, according to this Minnesota group.

“Because of this change in the tilt the Earth is over here and the sun is in a different constellation than it was 3000 years ago when this study of the stars began,” explains astronomer Parke Kunkle of the Minnesota Planetarium Society.

This is not a “new” thing, according to Kunkle. This alignment shifted a long, long time ago. It’s just, the Horoscope world didn’t shift with it. And suddenly, we’re all catching on. Or we’re supposed to. Supposedly.

Here is the new list of  zodiac signs (plus a new one!) with adjusted dates:

• Capricorn: Jan. 20 – Feb. 16
  • Aquarius: Feb. 16 – March 11
  • Pisces: March 11- April 18
  • Aries: April 18- May 13
  • Taurus: May 13- June 21
  • Gemini: June 21- July 20
  • Cancer: July 20- Aug. 10
  • Leo: Aug. 10- Sept. 16
  • Virgo: Sept. 16- Oct. 30
  • Libra: Oct. 30- Nov. 23
  • Scorpio: Nov. 23- Nov. 29
  • Ophiuchus: Nov. 29- Dec. 17
  • Sagittarius: Dec. 17- Jan. 20

Ophiuchus is apparently represented by a man ripping a serpent in pieces. He is supposed to represent man and the power of man, with ties to Imhotep. Or something like that. I’m sticking with the old chart. I’m a Libra! I always have been, and no one is going to make me a Virgo. No one! It just doesn’t fit. So yay, I found a CNN article explaining why we should all stick with our birth signs and not change, and I’m taking that one to be the gospel. Stick with your sign! CNN explains it all.

Libra. That's so ME!

Or, okay THAT's so me.

Do you want to keep your old sign or change to the new one? Or did yours stay the same? Do you follow astrology/believe in signs? Just for fun?

Nissie January 20, 2011 at 6:21 pm

My vote goes to Olivia Wilde,too. So pretty!

As far as the zodiac thing, I’ve always been a Scorpio. Now, I’m on the cusp of Virgo and Libra. Since that’s too long to say and sounds like it would be too much to learn, AND I don’t really pay that much attention to it anyway, I think I’ll just stay a Scorpio. :D

Leslie in KC January 20, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I’m a Leo. I’ll always be a Leo and nothing will change that. Now I have always had a theory that babies who are born premature, usually fit into the zodiac sign of the month they were supposed to be born. My nephew is a great example. He was born a Leo, but I think he leans more toward Virgo as he was supposed to be born around September 1st.

As for the Globes, I kinda liked Sandra’s new look, but I tend to agree with you Sherri on everyone else. It was a kind of boring awards show where gowns were concerned.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Leslie! :) I like your preemie theory. I think it might fit. On the Globes, maybe if Sandra’s bangs were a little shorter. I’ve seen paparazzi shots of her that look great lately, but no bangs.

Danielle Gorman January 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I am so not paying attention to the zodiac. I don’t care. I have never really followed it so whatever it says I am I guess that is what I am.
As for the Globes I saw quite a few dresses that I loved and a few that I hated. I disliked Angelina’s. I am just not a big fan of shoulder pads. Don’t get me wrong I adored the color but I didn’t think she looked that great. I loved Olivia Wilde’s dress but I thought that it was a little bit too much dress. I would have taken just a little off. It was gorgeous though. What was up with Scarlett’s hair. It looked like she put her finger in an electrical socket.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Yes, Scarlett’s hair looked like that! It had a slightly toned down Bride of Frankenstein thing going on. Maybe it’s the shoulder pads that bothered me on Angelina’s dress, yes. It’s just not that flattering on her, and she has done the sheath thing so many times.

Julie Kenner/J.K. Beck/J. Kenner Julie Kenner January 20, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Well, poo. Apparently it says I’m a Virgo. But trust me. I am SO a Libra……

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I believe you, Libra sister.

Michelle Butler January 20, 2011 at 11:42 am

My birthday is June 4, and I’m sticking with Gemini. It’s always resonated with me. My sister is a Taurus, and her symbol being a bull has always seemed appropriate. I think of it as the stubborn Taurus sign.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 11:47 am

Michelle, my sister is a Taurus and oh yeaaaah. :)

Dee Davis Dee Davis January 20, 2011 at 9:50 am

well first off there is no astrology swtich in teh west –the calendar we recognize hasn’t changed. So whatever you were, you still are. but I find it amazing that people so quickly were crazed about it.

Dresses… loved Scarletts. Hated Sandy’s bangs. Seriously? And I think Natalie is pregnant. Or at least she sure looked that way — which would explain the dress (but not the rose).

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 10:05 am

That’s what the CNN link covers on the zodiac non-switch. I just know they convinced me that I don’t have to give up my sign, and I was happy with that.

Yes, Natalie is pregnant, and engaged, to her choreographer/costar from Black Swan. Lots of Hollywood pregnancies right now.

Dee Davis Dee Davis January 20, 2011 at 11:36 am

Oh and Jennifer Lopez is seriously gorgeous — watching her on idol last night was an eye-opener. I’ve always thought she was pretty but man o man — gorgeous!

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 11:48 am

Meh. She’s had work done.

Dee Davis Dee Davis January 20, 2011 at 6:21 pm

well, we all need her doctor then. :) You’re just in a meh mood !

Danielle Gorman January 20, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I thought that Natalie looked like she was dressing up for Valentine’s Day. I would have liked it in another color. BTW, she is preggo.

Kathleen O'Reilly January 20, 2011 at 9:22 am

I am now a Scorpio, as opposed to a Sagittarius, but I think I’ll stay with Sag. I like Ophiuchus, where the plural is Ophichi, phonetically off-a-ki, which sounds fun and possibly offensive. ophichi you, yo!

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 9:30 am

It does sound fun, doesn’t it? I think if I fell in the new sign area, I might be more willing to embrace it.

Kathleen O'Reilly January 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Exactly!

VB January 20, 2011 at 10:07 am

LOL, Kathleen! It’s always fun to discover new “and possibly offensive” words.

Kathleen O'Reilly January 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm

As a writer, I have to be careful of what offensive words I use in print, so anything that sounds offensive, but isn’t, is a bonus. :)

Julia London Julia London January 20, 2011 at 9:21 am

Sherri, my head is going to explode with your blog. All the gowns, all the zodiacs!

I was and am still a Pisces on the new chart. Still swimming!

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 9:33 am

Too much going on! I’m still waiting for someone to weigh in on J Lo’s gown and on Anne Hathaway (who has just been announced as the new Catwoman in the next Batman). Love, hate, meh? Or how about Angie and Brad’s show cuddling? Too forced? Ricky Gervais as host? Too mean or just right?

Dee Davis Dee Davis January 20, 2011 at 11:38 am

I didn’t hate the J-lo gown. When she was presenting I actually thought it was pretty – -the pic is more Meh.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 11:48 am

The gown overall, not bad, but I’m still seeing Love Boat.

Dee Davis Dee Davis January 20, 2011 at 6:22 pm

OMG Julie — right? (On love boat not ours)

VB January 20, 2011 at 8:44 am

I am Gemini through and through. Taurus? No way. I’ll always be the twins–for better or worse. LOL

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 8:54 am

My son is also a Gemini. He swears it does not fit. He’s like Jekyll and Hyde! Is he kidding me? He is so the twins. He’s just envious of signs that have “cooler” representatives, like half-man, half-goat. Oh yeah. He should just be happy he’s not a Virgo (lady sign, haha).

Jacquie D'Alessandro Jacquie D'Alessandro January 20, 2011 at 8:29 am

I have to wonder if some of those actresses have any mirrors in their house (yes, I’m talking to you, Julianne Moore and January Jones). My fave was Olivia Wilde. I WANT that dress! Marchesa just makes the most gorgeous gowns ever. None of the other ones impressed me. Unlike you, Sherri, I didn’t care for Natalie Portman’s dress–to me that style looks like a bath towel–something that can be thrown together in an seventh grade home-ec class in about a half hour. And please don’t get me started on the hair. Again–there must be a lack of mirrors.
As for the zodiac thing, I don’t follow it, but I’ve always been a Capricorn and a Capricorn I shall remain.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 8:50 am

You know, Jacquie, the more I look at Portman, the more I have been thinking the same thing. I think we were all dazed because she’s pregnant and adorable, and maybe her hair and makeup were working for her. Like pregnancy gives her a fashion pass. Ha. If you did the fashion report, you would make sure to tell us all the designers. :)

Dee Davis Dee Davis January 20, 2011 at 11:38 am

Oh and I thought Annette Benning looked fabulous! She’s really a class act. I want to see that movie. But I can never remember the name of it.

ev January 20, 2011 at 8:11 am

Olivia Wilde took the award for the evening for me. I loved the dress and the shoes!! Tilda is just an ew anytime I see her. Helena is crazy and she can pull it off (I wonder if she has a matching pair of shoes at home?). Loved Sandra’s dress but the bangs were too long and heavy.

As for the zodiac, it depends on if you follow it in the eastern or western world according what I have read. For those of us who follow it in the western world, it’s not changing but the eastern it is?? I don’t care. I’m an Aquarian and I’m not changing. (My step-son actually explained it nicely on his FB page to where it made sense. LOL)

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin January 20, 2011 at 8:31 am

Olivia’s dress was a fantasy gown, I think, the kind a lot of us (me!) imagine we could wear to some fancy occasion at some point in time. I’ve heard various zodiac theories. I’m sticking with Libra. I just think it’s funny that one astronomy group in Minnesota suddenly makes such a splash. If not for Twitter and Facebook, would that story have gone anywhere? Anywhere outside Minnesota, anyway.

Julia London Julia London January 20, 2011 at 9:19 am

ditto for me, Ev. I loved that gown. very princessy.