Kathleen’s State of the World: All Things Wednesday

by Kathleen O'Reilly on September 22, 2010

I am currently writing THE END to my manuscript (that’s book two of seven for those that I might have continually whined discussed this with), and as such, it’s very hard to find a great topic to blog about, although I do love Jacquie’s “Is it Just Me?” topic and almost picked that one, but then I decided to create my own cornucopia, potpourri, smorgasbord, all-you-can-eat-buffet, miscellanea, any other good nouns for odd assortments (other than my family)? So, today, I will present, the list of things that are catching my eye:

1. The premiere of Glee was last night, but since I am writing this on Tuesday night, pre-Glee, as it were, I cannot analyze or delve into a commentary of glee-gasmic proportions. However, I will probably put something in the comments, because you know, I think people should know what I thought of tonight’s last night’s episode of Glee.

2. Tonight is also the premiere of Criminal Minds. Now, in our last episode, Tim Curry played a demented homicidal maniac who kills people when blackouts are occurring and yes, he has really rotten teeth. This little fact cracks me up. I can picture the writers:

“We need a big baddie.”
“Tim Curry! He’s great. He’s English! He’s got those big, crazy eyes.”
“I don’t know. It’s not enough.”
“He’s English! And we’ll make him homeless English! Even better.”
“Creepier. Think creepier.”
“He’s English. That’s totally creepy.”
“English aren’t creepy, they just like strange foods.”
“And that’s why their teeth are rotten.”
“THAT’S IT!”
“We make him a cannibal?”
“No, dude. The teeth. He’ll have rotten teeth!”

See the clip below in case you think I’m just making all this up.
YouTube Preview Image

3. The recession is over. I know, everybody can know heave a HUGE sigh of relief. I began whistling Tomorrow first thing yesterday, because I knew that Tomorrow today was going to be recession-free.

4. I am not a fan of Newsweek’s new format. Apparently neither is Fareed Zakaria who has moved to Time. There’s a very cerebral, faux-intelligentsia, coffee-table-book feel to it. Time is like apple pie. It’s comfort food, sort of USA Today on performance-enhancing-drugs.

5. Speaking of apple pie, we had our first apple pie of apple season last night. YUM.

6. Speaking of performance-enhancing-drugs, did he, or didn’t he (Lance Armstrong). Except for the Sheryl Crow thing (JERK!), I like Lance Armstrong, and don’t want to think of him doing bad things, except there is the whole Sheryl Crow thing, so I feel conflicted.

7. I’m looking forward to The Town, and also Easy A. My hub says that Robin Hood (the new one) was pretty cool. My children think I only like Russell Crowe movies because of Russell Crowe’s asthetics. He actually is a really good actor, although, much like Lance Armstrong, I suspect the Jerk is strong in that one.

8. I really enjoyed this article on the history of the bleep, especially the use of the word obscenicons.

That’s it for today’s post. Please feel free to comment on anything, because I know you WANT THE ARC OF JULIA LONDON’S THE YEAR OF LIVING SCANDALOUSLY. And if you comment, you are entered to win. So, are you Gleek, are you a fan of apple pie? A fan of Tim Curry? Do you think it’s fair that people think the English have poor dental hygiene, or is this merely the colonies talking smack? Speaking of talking smack, do you think Lance A is a doper? What’s catching your eye today? Is this a good Wednesday or a bad one?

WJvdR September 23, 2010 at 12:02 am

Hate to say it, but was not that impressed with the the new Glee episode. On the other hand Easy A looks like great fun. It may be a YA movie but I flatter myself by thinking I’m young at heart ;)

Will go and google Sigourney and Jamie Lee, like them both, so that sounds interesting!

L. G. Vernon September 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I am not a fan of Glee or DWTS, only because I know myself well, would become obsessed, and then would have the following conversation(s) with my husband:
HIM “Wanna go to dinner tonight?”
ME “No, Glee is on.”
HIM “Put it on the DVR.”
ME “You know how that always goes. I’ll tape it, then we’ll see someone before I can watch it and they’ll tell me all about it and I’ll be disappointed and you know how I am . . .
HIM “Nevermind . . .”

But I am a HUGE fan of apple pie and would gladly share my Caramel Apple Pie recipe. Or my Apple Cheesecake Recipe, or my Mom’s Apple Pie recipe, or my Dutch Crumb Apple Pie recipe.

Barbara Elness September 22, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I’m not a Gleek, but I do love apple pie, especially with ice cream.
I love Tim Curry and I don’t like Lance Armstrong much, I think it’s the Sheryl Crow thing.
I think the bad teeth thing is us talking smack, but I don’t have any proof one way or the other. :o )
I did my civic duty today and showed up for jury duty. I didn’t get chosen for a jury, so today wasn’t too bad as days go.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon September 22, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I adore GLEE, although I wish that Will hadn’t allowed himself to be influenced by Sue last night. Had a feeling that the Hoff was going to go home last night but was hoping that Mike “the situation” was going home. The recession is over? Then why don’t I have a job? Agree with you about Newsweek, it looks like a doctor’s office now, all clean and medicinal. And I adore apple pie particularly made with Calvados.

Nissie September 22, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I think it’s a wonderful Wednesday!! Even though it’s 95 degrees here, it’s the first day of Autumn and that has to mean some relief is on the way. Right? Please tell me I’m right!!!!
I love apple pie and Tim Curry and Russell Crow.
I don’t watch Criminal Minds. My big TV crushes are Rick Castle and all the White Collar dudes.

Jane September 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I’ve been a fan of Tim Curry since I saw him on “Clue.” They show “Clue” on Comedy Central every so often. I love “Criminal Minds” and was sad to hear that J.J. was let go.

I used to be a big supporter of Lance, but I also didn’t like the Sheryl Crow thing. I’m also wondering about the constant doping accusations against him.

I love Glee, but I’m still watching episodes from last season.

Jacquie D'Alessandro Jacquie D'Alessandro September 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Have Glee on DVR, looking forward to watching. Never seen Criminal Mind–can’t handle that scary stuff.
HUGE congrats on finishing, Kathleen. I can’t wait to be able to say the same!

Dr. Love September 22, 2010 at 11:49 am

I *heart* Glee. Though I’m also entirely wrapped up in Dancing With The Stars (Hoff? OFF!), so we DVRed Glee last night and haven’t seen it yet. Yes, I finally got Big Bunny to loosen up and let us get DVR. Well, let’s make that, when we moved, I made the arrangements for FIOS and just added it. So far he’s not complaining.
I did enjoy Detroit 187, though.

I haven’t read Time or Newsweek in 20 years since they both remade themselves as the bastard stepchildren of USA Today and the National Enquirer. Why, back in My day you Whippersnappers (Whinersnappers?), those were reputable news outlets. And since telegrams only came in every few days it took a little longer to get the word out.

Lance who?

Tim Curry is Da Bomb (do the kids still say that?). I love Criminal Minds, too, though it can be really creepy, Dee, so prepare yourself.

And YES! I DO want to see the Jamie Lee Curtis/Sigourney Weaver/Betty White/Kristin Chenoweth movie!!!

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin September 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Too bad we can’t go see it together, Dr. Love. With cosmos after.

Leslie in KC September 22, 2010 at 10:45 am

I have Glee on the DVR. Will watch it soon. I had to see NCIS and NCIS LA first and that was all I could keep my eyes open for.

I don’t watch Criminal Minds, but I can sure say I though the Hawaii 5-O was spectacular. Castle was excellent too.

If the recession is over, then why isn’t my house worth more money so I can get a home improvement loan? :)

Newsweek Magazine has a new owner. The Washington Post Company sold the magazine in August to 92 year old Sidney Harman an audio pioneer who paid $1 for the magazine and assumed all the debt. Maybe that’s behind the changes.

Apple Pie . . . yum! I’m making blackberry cobbler for a picnic this weekend. One of my knitting buddies said she made a fresh apple pie recently.

Lance Armstrong – jerk for dumping his wife and family.

I do want to see The Town. Don’t know anything about Easy A. Looking forward mostly to the Disney Movie – Secretariat.

I think Russell Crowe is the bomb when it comes to some of his movies. Master and Commander was a great movie. I really liked the gritty, not so romanticized Robin Hood and will probably buy the DVD.

Battlestar Galactica always impressed me with their “fraking” way around the “bleep”. Very smart.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin September 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm

That’s right, Leslie. You just reminded me that I thought Lance was a jerk even before Sheryl Crow. I’d almost forgotten.

Leslie in KC September 22, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Yes Sherri, and that was even after the wife and kids stood behind him as he fought testicular cancer.

Double Jerk for Lance.

Dee Davis September 22, 2010 at 10:11 am

I love Glee… am a recent summer convert. Thought the episide rocked (although they all seem to do so) Love the new Rachel hair and clothes. Hope Quinn doesn’t give up everything she learned while preggers. Agree re Beist. Sam needs to lose the Bieber hair. And poor Fynn. Where was Emma?

Re Lance — haven’t liked him since his first divorce. Think he’s a PLAY-YER.

Never have watched Criminal Minds… but adore Tim Curry…

Not interested in Easy A–waiting for RED.

Can’t stand Russell Crowe. (Except in A Beautiful Mind where i actually forgot it was Russell Crowe.)

Did I get them all? There were a lot….. Oh, I know — words are words… so doesn’t matter to me whether they’re considered “vulgarity” or not. AND….Floridated water is a good thing.

Julia London Julia London September 22, 2010 at 7:49 am

Great post, KP! And I am SOOOOO glad you finished book 2 of 7 (gives me hives, thinking of all the whining coming down the pike. But oh, wait…I get to whine right back. Scratch that).

Saw Glee last night and loved it. I have never been a Lea Michelle fan from the get-go. From the first episode, I had no idea who she was, and I was hoping she’d get less screen time. I LOVE the new football coach. And the little Phillipino who sang was incredible. Love it! (VB, are you watching this year??)

Lance Armstrong — don’t know about him.

Easy A — Movie? Not familiar. I want to see The Tourist with Johnny Depp and the new animated kids movie with Will Ferrell and Brad Pitt.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin September 22, 2010 at 8:14 am

Easy A, movie of the teen appeal variety. Also, the new one with Jamie Lee Curtis and Sigourney Weaver as old rivals, with Betty White and Kristen Bell looks good.

Kathleen O'Reilly Kathleen O'Reilly September 22, 2010 at 9:11 am

Not finished yet, but writing the last bits now…. Hoping to send it off today (maybe tomorrow if I add another scene).

I really like the Rachel character, but sometimes they give her a lot more depth than they did last night. Motivations, motivations, motivations. It’s all in the set up. If, for instance, after she’d had the bathroom duet with Sunshine (is that right? Is was a happy name, I remember that), someone had come up to Sunshine and completely ignored Rachel, then I’d be good with what she did, but all we got was worry-face. No.

All that analysis aside, I did love the episode and I adored Biest (sp?). I hope they keep her on because it could be fun.

Easy A has been getting great reviews. It is a YA movie, but I’m not proud. Forgot about the new Depp movie. Fingers crossed that it’s good. Sometimes he just phones it in, IMHO. What new animated kids movie????

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin September 22, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Okay, so What I Did for Love kind of made no sense to me after she had just talked with Finn and he straightened out the misconception that she was doing it for anyone but herself. What I Did for (Self) Love? It didn’t really fit, for me. Unless I missed something.

Sherri Browning Erwin Sherri Browning Erwin September 22, 2010 at 7:42 am

So much to discuss! First, yay for you! The End- happy sigh. 1. Lea Michele, suddenly scary skinny. Eat! Suggest see #5. (yum).
2. Love Tim Curry! Hilarious. But creepy scary.
3. Excellent, off to overstock.com (new obsession) to spend that extra nickel in my pocket, woo hoo.
4. Name change to Newswhiners would have been more effective to draw readers.
6. Have disliked Lance since the Sheryl Crow thing and now convinced he must cheat. Team Sheryl.
7. Easy A, I probably shouldn’t want to see it but I do. Emma Stone is oddly endearing. Also want to see The Town. Russell Crow, eh, not so much.
8… will go check it out.

Kathleen O'Reilly Kathleen O'Reilly September 22, 2010 at 9:14 am

I noticed scary Lea, too. The WhineSisters should send her a care-basket. I always thought she had a nice, healthy look to her. Maybe she got sick over the summer or something?

LOL about overstock.com. I always forget about that place,

I like Sheryl. I love Lance. I am torn, but anxious that Lance is a little too focused on winning.

Agreed on Easy A. Everything I’ve read said that Ms. Stone does an awesomely funny job.

re, #8: You f&(#*#(@(*#&^ should. :)